Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Chris Moore
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:49:47 +0100

> How cautious are you about files with .png extensions?
> Do you carefully avoid displaying them if you are not sure
> where they came from?

It depends which box I'm on.  If it's a box I don't care about then
I'll be less cautious than if it's a box that needs to stay secure.

The point is that I'd like the displaying of .png files to happen when
I want it to.  Currently Emacs takes that choice out of my hands by
displaying .el files as PNG images without warning when they happen to
contain PNG formatted data.

Suppose I post a URL to this list asking people to take a look at my
Emacs Lisp code:  http://.../dir/mymode.el
People click on the link hoping to see my code and instead they end up
with Emacs crashing and their machine being infected by a virus, since
mymode.el is actually a renamed copy of myvirus.tiff.  That shouldn't
be possible when all they've done is clicked on a .el URL.