Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:42:28 +0100

On 1/8/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

Your point was:

> And let's not forget that a file with a .c extension containing a
> GIF image is absolutely, non-ambiguously a GIF, whatever the .c may
> seem to imply.

I don't agree with the "absolutely, non-ambigously" angle.

I must be sleepy, because I didn't realize at first that you had
reversed what I said and then attacked the strawman.

I didn't say: "a C file can not be confused with a GIF file based in a
regexp match". I specifically talked about "a file with a .c extension
containing a GIF image". Your example is a file with a .c extension
containing a C program, not a GIF image. I was talking about false
negatives, and you've shown a false positive.

Moreover, I'd like to remember that in this thread I've been
advocating to *deactivate* auto-detection.

                   /L/e/k/t/u