Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 00:39:46 +0100

On 1/9/07, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

If she uses non-default file names, she can easily change auto-mode-alist to
reflect it.

That's like saying: if she worries about her libraries' security, she
can modify magic-mode-alist or image-type-auto-detectable.

But really, I don't care much about what fix we choose, just that we
do choose one soonish.

OTOH, I think Richard had a point: if image libraries are a security
problem, we should deactivate auto-opening of *all* images, not just
the ones where the file extension doesn't match. I'm gonna get a virus
much easier from a real .tiff or .png file than from a TIFF or PNG
file disguised as a C file.

That would mean removing image extensions from `auto-mode-alist' and
letting the trusting user add them herself. Funny.

                   /L/e/k/t/u