Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 22:40:01 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
Whichever way it is done it puts a new burdon on the user who have to look for security updates to these image libraries and somehow update them in case of a security problem with them. And in addition to this there might be a long delay before the libraries are updated in gnuwin32.

Maybe so.

Using Microsoft libraries would be more convenient for users, but more
work for us, since they use incompatible calling conventions.
Furthermore, Microsoft software is famous for having more
vulnerabilities than GNU/Linux.  So I don't think that is a solution
to the security concerns.  It would enable us to say "It's Microsoft's
fault", but would not prevent the problem.

Yes, of course a compatibility layer have to be created and I have no idea about what problems lies in that.

Microsoft is quite a bit famous for all the bugs, yes. However my main point is that the user will know what problems he faces. He/she does not have to consult several IT security sources to get the knowledge and that is an advantage.

There may be better solutions than my suggestion of course. I wonder how Firefox handles this? I can't remember for sure right now.