Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:23:35 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 >     stephen wrote:  The right one is the
 >     cumulative probability that one of many images displayed over the
 >     period of use of Emacs will realize the threat.
 >
 > There is no way to estimate this probability.

I apologize for contradicting you, but there are many ways of
estimating any probability, some more accurate than others, some
quantitative, some qualitative.

Getting qualitative estimates need not require any expertise at all.
In fact, several people have made implicit estimates in this thread
already.  Eg, Chris Moore's and Lennart Borgman's are evidently "too
high to ignore".  Granted, those are not very precise estimates.  But
such qualitative estimates are the ones that are relevant to
decision-making.

Here the salient estimate is "much higher than the probability that
any single image will realize the threat", which implies that your
implicit estimate of the risk of single images is a large
underestimate of the relevant risk.

That still may not be enough to make it worth committing substantial
Emacs resources to address the issue before the release, but it would
be sad if the decision were made on the basis of a severe
underestimate of the risk.