Re: add etc/PROBLEMS entry for building 32-bit exe on 64-bit system

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: add etc/PROBLEMS entry for building 32-bit exe on 64-bit system
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:17:27 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> - once on my work machine, which is running a version of Fedora for
> amd64 and where some of the 32bit libs are indeed missing. There's
> still plenty of libs to build Emacs.

[my reply is off-topic for Emacs, I think]

In RHEL 4, there is no package that provides 32-bit devel files for:
libasound, libjpeg, libtiff, libungif, libpng, etc. So you can build
a 32-bit Emacs, but it is missing a lot of optional support.

The non-devel packages provide libfoo.so.VERSION in 32- and 64-bit
forms, but the symlink libfoo.so (sans version) gets relegated to the
devel package, which only exists in x86_64 form, most of the time. Of
course, one can trivially add the necessary 32-bit symlink, but it
certainly gave me the impression one is only supposed to be able to
_run_ 32-bit apps, not _compile_ them. Having said that, I've been
told more 32-bit devel packages will feature in RHEL5.