Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 50, Issue 7

From: Peter Whaite
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 50, Issue 7
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:46:41 -0500

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do these articles shed any light on the question of where the Windows bindings
> of C-x, C-c and C-v got started?

I haven't looked at those articles (too much pdf to download on my slow
dialup) but my recollection is that Windows followed the convention
already in use by Apple, though Apple used the command key (the
"pretzel" key) which was missing from Windows keyboards.

The mnemonics I use for those keys, and which I thought were commonly
known, are:

  Cmd-X   cut   - the X looks like a pair of scissors
  Cmd-C   copy  - C is for copy
  Cmd-V   paste - the V looks like the nozzel of a glue pot.

I think I first heard these when the 128K Macs came out.  It also
wouldn't surprise me if Apple was following a convention establised for
the Zerox Star.

--
Peter Whaite