Re: Fwd: version 1.84 of cperl-mode.el takes away my control over abbrev

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fwd: version 1.84 of cperl-mode.el takes away my control over abbrevs
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:56:45 -0500

    I think all you can do is define the abbrevs you don't want to expand
    to themselves, rather than deleting them. A bit ugly.

    Previously, if abbrevs for a mode were saved to the user abbrev file,
    then these were _all_ the abbrevs that would be defined for that mode.
    So any unwanted abbrevs could just be deleted.

    Now, system abbrevs as defined by the mode get restored every time a
    mode is loaded. Only if the user has already defined them to expand to
    something else are they not loaded.

This solution seems natural to me, not ugly, so I think we should just
document it.

Would you like to try that?