Re: Minor suggestion for emacsclientw (MS windows specific)

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Minor suggestion for emacsclientw (MS windows specific)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:53:52 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
dhruva wrote:
When I associate file extensions to emacsclientw.exe and double click
on the file in the explorer, the command shell window pops up and
disappears
What compiler are you using? There shouldn't be command shell window, as we are using a compiler option to create a windowed application. But maybe it does not work on all versions of gcc, or on msvc.

IMHO:
1. emacsclientw.exe should never wait (default is "-n")

Waiting is required for many applications, and taking care of 2 will eliminate the remaining reason why you might want emacsclient to disappear immediately. So I don't think there is any good reason to make this the default.

2. The code should have WinMain() instead of main() as this will
eliminate the initial console window from popping up.

The compiler should take care of that. See above.

Please notice also that I have written a new version of emacsclient(w) that does use a WinMain function but for a different purpose (feedback to the user).

This version is available as part of the patched Emacs+EmacsW32 download, see http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl