Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:36:27 +0000

Richard Stallman wrote:
You can enable it permanently, or just once, it is true.
But if the idea is that the user will enable it permanently
the first time, then what good does it do?

Can we give a specific reason in the message the user sees when they first run the command? Or do all disabled commands get the same message? If the former, then we could tell the user why it is disabled by default. This serves to make them aware of the dangers of viewing image files from untrusted sources, and they will then think twice before displaying images in future. I don't think they need to be reminded every time, the fact that Emacs does not display images automatically should be reminder enough.

If we can't give a specific reason, I don't see any value in disabling the command.