Re: How global is a define-global-minor-mode mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How global is a define-global-minor-mode mode?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:27:47 -0500

>> Yes, there is code that runs the minor-mode function if it is global and has
>> been set.  This *should* work.  So please tell us what you tried that failed
>> to work.

> Just put the code I sent in a previous message in a file,

As mentioned, this code uses a :set which is a bad idea.  So I see no point
in trying that out before you try out a simpler code.  When simple code
doesn't do what one wants, it's clearly a bug.  When convoluted code behaves
strange, it's never really clear whether it's a bug in Emacs or in the
convoluted code.

> set customize the defcustom and the define-minor-mode variables to t.

How?  Where?  Those details are very important.

> Save this customization and make sure the file is loaded when you restart
> Emacs.

Which file?  How do you ensure it's loaded?  Again, those details
are very important.

        Stefan