RE: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode? read-only?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode? read-only?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:21:57 -0800

> > Now that `next-error' and `previous-error' work with `occur',
> > why not bind them to easy-to-hit keys in Occur mode?

Someone on Emacs Wiki pointed out `next-error-follow-minor-mode', which I
wasn't aware of.

That's very good, but I wonder which is better: have such a minor mode, or
just make *Occur*, *grep* etc. read-only and bind `C-n' (or `n') directly in
it? The minor mode is more flexible, in that it gives you the choice (turn
it on or leave it off).

Regardless of whether we change *Occur* bindings after the release, how
about mentioning `next-error-follow-minor-mode' in the doc of `occur',
`grep' etc.? Or, how about automatically turning the mode on in these
buffers?

I also just noticed `occur-next', bound to `M-n' in *Occur*. It's good to
have a binding that does this, but wouldn't `C-n' be more logical? IOW,
wouldn't it make sense to have `C-n' be `occur-next' and have
`next-error-follow-minor-mode' use `M-n' instead of `C-n'? Is there a reason
to keep `C-n' as `next-line'?

Anyway, this is all stuff we can figure out after the release. Before the
release, however, we could perhaps mention `next-error-follow-minor-mode' in
the doc of `occur', `grep' etc. WDOT?