Re: How global is a define-global-minor-mode mode?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: How global is a define-global-minor-mode mode?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:53:58 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> The only way for Emacs to know which source file to :require, for a
>> third-party package, is to look at the custom-set-variables
>> declaration in .emacs.
>
> Uh, wouldn't the file to require be load-file-name at the time
> define-global-minor-mode is loaded or executed via autoload?

That breaks if you move a third-party package to another directory or
another file name.  More importantly, this kind of behavior is
different from similar existing Emacs mechanisms.  For instance, when
you write define-minor-mode and defcustom statements, it does not
automagically :require the current load-file.

I really don't see why it's a problem having to separately specify the
requisite load-file.