Re: Binding F11 and F12 to buffer-switching and file-saving by default

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Binding F11 and F12 to buffer-switching and file-saving by default
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:59:09 +0100

On 1/30/07, Jason Spiro <address@hidden> wrote:

Would it be practical:

* to bind <F11> to some kind of buffer-switching command such as
  iswitchb-buffer,

* and to bind <F12> to save-buffer,

by default? These are very commonly used functions, so I think it
is worthwhile to provide one-key access to them.

You'd have to define "practical":

- Not all keyboards have F11 and F12
 - I don't think there's much agreement about the best way to switch
buffers (I don't use iswitchb-buffer, for example, but bs-cycle-next,
so your proposed binding is of no use to me)
- next-buffer and previous-buffer are already in C-x <left|right>
- save-buffer is in C-x C-s
- Whether a command is used/useful enough to merit a one-key binding
is highly subjective (I don't use save-buffer often enough to consider
C-x C-s a burden, for example)
- It's easy for users to do their own bindings

                   /L/e/k/t/u