Re: Binding F11 and F12 to buffer-switching and file-saving by default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Binding F11 and F12 to buffer-switching and file-saving by default
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:09:02 -0500

> * to bind <F11> to some kind of buffer-switching command such as
>   iswitchb-buffer,

> * and to bind <F12> to save-buffer,

> by default? These are very commonly used functions, so I think it
> is worthwhile to provide one-key access to them.

Actually, I find this reasoning rather odd:
- on the one hand, they're much less used than many other commands.
  Yes, it's very unlikely that a user would never use such commands in any
  given Emacs session, but as for frequency of use, it's not that high up
  the list.
- F11 and F12 are rather far, so they're not quick.  It's "one key", but
  it's not clear that it's quicker to use than C-x C-s for example.

This said, I think it probably makes sense to give default bindings to those
Fn keys rather than leave them unused.  We should keep them as "user
modifiable" keys, tho (i.e. commands bound to an Fn key should also have
a good other binding).

I'd tend to consider the Fn keys in a similar way to menu entries or toolbar
entries.  Actually maybe a good idea would be to map toolbar entries to Fn
keys: F2 presses the first button, F3 the second, etc...

        Stefan