Re: Image autodetection

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Image autodetection
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:54:17 +0000

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
That would be a different change. As it is now, if we just change
`image-mode' to `image-minor-mode' in `magic-mode-alist' (as was done
in a previous proposed patch, now rejected), image files would be
opened in fundamental mode + image minor mode, because as soon as a
non-nil mode is returned when searching in `magic-mode-alist' the
detection of major mode is finished (and so `auto-mode-alist' is
bypassed). At least, that's what I remember from a test I did.

We have image-mode-maybe that uses image-mode for files that are unambiguously images, and image-minor-mode for files where there may be another appropriate mode. With some minor changes, it could be used in magic-mode-alist.