Re: emacs-hackers mail, Dec 2000 and Oct 2001

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: emacs-hackers mail, Dec 2000 and Oct 2001
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:36:53 -0500

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Reportedly there was some discussion of file copyright issues
> on emacs-hackers before the release of Emacs 21.
>
> The mail to emacs-hackers from the relevant period, Dec '00 to Oct
> '01, can now be seen in ~rms/rt328894.mbox on fencepost.  Would
> someone please check through it to see what is relevant to these
> issues?

There was indeed some discussion of these issues. I scanned for
"copyright", but found little of relevance to the issues we still have
to solve. (Most of it is about the leim files that we have hopefully
just fixed for good this time round).

    Eli Zaretskii:

      rms:

    > ndir.h is somewhat tricky.  I think it is in the public domain
    > because of how it was originally published, but I will check.

    I used ndir.h years ago, and it is also my recollection that it is in
    public domain.

[there is still no copyright notice in ndir.h]

    Gerd Moellmann:

    etc/BABYL                     ? written 1983 by Eugene Ciccarelli from
                                  whom the FSF doesn't have papers.
                                  Public domain?

[Still no copyright in BABYL]

    In src/, I think some of the files might be in public domain, but it's
    not clear to me. There are a lot of files in src/s and src/m which
    don't have copyright notices, and I think don't need ones.

[There are still lots of files there without notices. Some are
obviously trivial, some are not (to me).]