Re: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial

From: Yotam Medini יותם מדיני
Subject: Re: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:25:51 +0200

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:13:16 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 01:48:16 +0200
> > From: Yotam Medini
> >
> > Should someone would volunteer to make a Hebrew translation
> > of the Emacs tutorial, how can that be coordinated?
>
> I don't see any sense in having a Hebrew translation of the tutorial
> as long as Emacs cannot display Hebrew text in a reasonably correct
> way.

While Emacs cannot display Hebrew text right, the TUTORIAL.he can
be converted to visual order.

I understand that Emacs tutorial in Hebrew will be much more important
once full Bidi support will be released.

Still, there is small young Linux community, that can use Emacs
to edit scripts and configuration files in Gnu/Linux.

I teach a small class of kids Python programming on Gnu/Linux.
The kids' English is poor. They understand enough, so they
can type simple code - using English letters of course.
As part of the course, I teach them basic Emacs usage. I wish I could
refer them to a tutorial.  So my thinking of the tutorial
translation, is to explain in Hebrew how to do English text editing.

May be there is also a chicken & egg situation here. The very fact
that there are too few young Emacs users who understand Hebrew,
is the reason that there are not enough people who can bring
Bidi support in Emacs to life.