Re: Image mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:46:01 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> Also, setting image-minor-mode is naughty: it violates the standard
> that Emacs does not automatically turn on minor-modes on for the user.

I've never heard of this "standard", but assuming it exists, why is it
important as more than a general guideline?  Having appropriate minor
modes turned on automatically seems quite reasonable to me...

[What's important is that I be able to override the behavior, and I
guess that would be easy as long as the "automatic" minor modes get
turned on before the major mode hook gets run.]

> Personally, I think scheme 2 may be a good compromise.

I agree.

[In particular, I like the behavior with respect to .xpm files (which is
one of the few cases being discussed that actually happens in practice);
sometimes I want to open them as image files, sometimes as C files, but
I strongly dislike being prompted.  "scheme 2"s behavior of defaulting
to one mode or the other and having a convenient keystroke to switch
seems like the best thing in such a case.]

-Miles

--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.