Re: Image mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:35:45 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>>> 4) Start in C mode, image-minor-mode and not display the image
>>> 7) Start in C mode and bypass image mode (major and minor)
>>
>> Too me 7 looks safest. Maybe 4, but I believe a hint about how to
>> view the image would be better.
>
> You do get a hint in case 4 (which is what we do currently).
>
> As Emacs is primarily a text editor, not an image viewer, I don't
> think that the extra step for viewing an image we have now is as bad
> as some people are making out.
>
> Lets get on with the release and if people feel strongly enough,
> redesign things properly after 22.1 is out the door.

This is a new feature.  We don't want it to go out the door as a
misfeature or feeling that it is a security risk.  I agree that we are
spending too much time on discussing this.  Part of the reason is that
the decision rests with Richard in the end.  It appears to me that his
assessment differs from that of most others including myself.  The
typical timelag of 1 or 2 days for his participation makes it a
drawnout process to get to an agreement with him, and in the meantime
we spend our time infighting and venting frustration.

It is not productive, but there remains little other to do at the
moment, I guess.  AFAICT, slow as this discussion is, it is not
actually holding off the release since Richard is still busy clearing
copyright matters.

--
David Kastrup