Re: Image mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:26:45 +0100

>     In contrast, if someone sends me a JPEG image in an email, Gnus
>     will happily show it to me without asking (at least with the
>     settings I'm using).  So where's the protection in that case?
>
> Should we consider that a bug in Gnus?
> (I don't know what the answer is.)

The answer is NO.
It is normal behaviour for that sort of programs.

It simply illustrates that programs which are used to display a LOT of
UNKNOWN images from UNTRUSTED sources don't "care" at all about
security of the image libraries.

So IMO, there seem to be very little reason for Emacs to go through
hoops to enforce security for a FEW, usually well-KNOWN images (or
files) from (typically) TRUSTED sources (such as your own PC or
digital cameras).