Re: Image mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:14:48 -0500

    You can for example have heard that a new security bug was discovered in
    jpeg libraries. Then you would avoid opening jpeg images until this has
    been fixed.

This can happen, for some people -- but most users won't hear about
such things, and won't avoid viewing jpegs.  So we cannot expect
safety to be achieved that way.  For whatever that matters.

    In such a case it is important to know how your program will open the
    images. (Will the program use the jpeg libraries?)

We can tell people that Emacs will use the jpeg libraries,
but most users won't draw any particular conclusions from that.
They will just think "ok" or "so what?"