Re: fundamental-mode-hook

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: fundamental-mode-hook
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:46:20 -0500

    I am not sure what to answer at the moment. I just found this
    inconsistency when I tried to check if a function was a major mode
    function. I tested to see if the hook variable existed (probably not the
    best way, but that is what I did).

That approach won't work in general.  A major mode hook variable does
not have to "exist" in any sense unless the user chooses to put on
a hook.  Some major modes defvar the hook variable, but some don't.