Re: forward-page binding and page-movement doc [was: Deprecated C-x bin

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: forward-page binding and page-movement doc [was: Deprecated C-x bindings]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:31:22 -0800 (PST)

> BTW, for after the release, I wonder if we shouldn't also free up `C-x ['
> and `C-x ]'?
>
> 1. They are not particularly handy for repeated movement (except via `z z
> z').

When using these commands, I typically browse by pages, pausing briefly to
look at each one to see if it's the one that I want; I can easily have
already typed the next C-x during that time, and then C-g if I don't want
to go anywhere.

> 2. `C-s C-q C-l' (`C-s C-s...') is quicker for repeated movement among
> pages. (I always use that.)

That's not equivalent; from the 21.3 docs I see

forward-page is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/page'.
(forward-page &optional COUNT)

Move forward to page boundary.  With arg, repeat, or go back if negative.
A page boundary is any line whose beginning matches the regexp
`page-delimiter'.

> 3. The use of `C-u C-]' is good, to move forward N pages, but that's
> probably almost as useful without any binding (using `C-u M-x
> forward-page').

As there is no `goto-page', it seems relatively likely to want to do M-<
C-u nnn C-x ].  I'd rather not extend that key sequence farther.

Davis

shipping.