Re: Invisibility bug: `invisible' vs `display'

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: Invisibility bug: `invisible' vs `display'
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 02:09:30 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The `*' and `?' characters have `invisibile' properties
>> with a value of `t', so I expect to see none of them.
>>
>> The `?' characters all have `display' properties with a
>> value of "!" (one of them has "$" instead, for clarity).
>> This, I believe, _should_ be irrelevant.
>
> The `display' text property overrides `invisible'.

If that were true, then all the `?' characters should
display as exclamation marks, but they don't, so the
`display' text property does not override `invisible'.

This still looks like a bug to me.

Let me state again what I see:  The `display' property
overrides `invisible' if and only if the previous character
is visible.  How is this reasonable or useful in any way?

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>