Re: Invisibility bug: `invisible' vs `display'

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: Invisibility bug: `invisible' vs `display'
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:59:29 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Let me state again what I see:  The `display' property
>> overrides `invisible' if and only if the previous character
>> is visible.  How is this reasonable or useful in any way?
>
> When folding stretches of code, it does not make sense to have images
> in between cluster all together and stick out in spite of the
> invisibility of the region.

I completely agree.

> I am not saying that the current behavior is perfect, but it would
> seem you would want to replace it with something that can cause quite
> a bit of trouble, and I don't think we have the time to shake out all
> repercussions before the release.

On the contrary, I want to replace the current behavior with
something that makes `invisible' _always_ override `display'.

The current behavior is for `invisible' to override `display'
in _almost_ every case.  In fact, all except one edge case.
I simply want to eliminate this anomaly, which is causing me
quite a bit of trouble.

Here is my use case:  I have some text that I want to make
invisible, so I set its `invisible' property to `t'.
The result:  If the first character happens to be an image
(or a pixel space), that and only that remains visible.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>