Re: TUTORIAL.eo (First submission)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL.eo (First submission)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:31:27 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> (4) Currently, we don't have Esperanto lang. env., so we
>> can't select this tutorial by C-u C-h t.
>
>> Handa-san, if you can be sure it won't break anything, then it is ok.
>
> Ok, I've just added that lang. env.  I also modified
> mule-cmds.el so that the locale "eo" is mapped to
> "Esperanto".
>
> I classified "Esperanto" under "European".  Is it correct?
> Or, should we have "Esperanto" at the top level of the
> language hierarchy?

I think that Esperanto thinks of itself as a world language, but it is
created basically from Western alphabets and vocabulary.  So I think
"European" would probably not be all too wrong.  Where do we have
things like Brazilean Portuguese or Argentinian Spanish?  They are
basically European languages but are spoken elsewhere.  Esperanto's
relation to Europe could probably be considered loosely similar.

--
David Kastrup