Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:35:50 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> I don't see any reasonable way to do this.
>
> Roughly speaking, when Emacs is run in a console (i.e. as a curses
> program), it monopolizes terminal input and output.  I don't know of
> any way to call the curses version of pinentry, have it temporarily
> "take over" the terminal, and return control to Emacs once it's done.

Yeah.

One possible way might be to have emacs start its own gpg-agent daemon,
specifying a custom pinentry program that uses emacs itself for
interaction (Emacs would set the GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable to
communicate that to invocations of gpg).  That seems a wee-bit
heavyweight, since Emacs generally doesn't know whether you're going to
run gpg, but I suppose it might be a reasonable option for people that
use a long-running Emacs session.

[This is all post-release stuff though, obviously...]

-Miles

--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.