Re: vertical scrollbar error on MS Windows

From: Stephan Hennig
Subject: Re: vertical scrollbar error on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:07:59 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) schrieb:
> Kim F. Storm wrote:
>>
>> Can you -- and other W32 users -- please try out the latest CVS
>> and tell me ASAP if there are still _severe_ problems with it.
>>

> I have uploaded a new unpatched version Emacs+EmacsW32 for those who
> want to test:
>
>   http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl

I've done some tests with that version now (This is GNU Emacs 22.0.93.1
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-02-19 on LENNART-69DE564).

Scrolling has indeed improved.  The erratic up and down movement of the
buffer while dragging the scrollbar in _one_ direction seems to has gone
away.

Still there are some problems:

(i) You cannot scroll to the end of a buffer any more.  There simply is
no end, i.e., the longer you drag the scrollbar to the bottom of the
frame the smaller the scrollbar gets and buffer contents moves out of
the buffer ending up with an empty buffer.

(ii) If you click on the scrollbar (without dragging) old buggy
behaviour was that the scrollbar moves up after pressing left mouse
button.  New behaviour is to move _down_ after pressing the left mouse
button.  This bug seems to depend on which part of a buffer is visible
and on frame size:

*  Start Emacs with emacs -Q.
*  In a ca. 40 line high frame visit etc\DEBUG.
*  Move the scrollbar past 50% of the buffer.
*  Click the scrollbar with <mouse-1>.  The scrollbar moves down.
*  In a ca. 90 line heigh frame the effect can only be observed
   after moving the scrollbar past 75% of the buffer.

(iii) Visiting etc\DEBUG, I can't manage to scroll the buffer down with
the scrollbar so that the top most line becomes an empty line.  Instead
when the second line of a buffer is an empty line and you're dragging
the scrollbar down slowly, the third line suddenly gets the top most
line.  That is, you can't scroll line-wise through a buffer.

The problem with this is less that the top most line can't become an
empty line, but that the whole buffer scrolls at different speeds.
Sometimes it's line-wise and sometimes it's two lines at once.  This is
confusing.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig