Re: Invisibility bug: `invisible' vs `display'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Invisibility bug: `invisible' vs `display'
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:51:54 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> They apply to the region between its buffer positions.  Which is
>> usually pretty similar to "characters under the overlay".  But
>> zero-length overlays exist and work, too, and when copying text
>> from a buffer, overlay properties are not copied as part of the
>> text.
>
> I can't get zero-length overlays to display anything using
> the `display' property.  Here's what I'm doing:
>
>    (overlay-put (make-overlay (point) (point)) 'display "foo")

Hm.  Weird.  It works using before-string and after-string, though.
Looking at preview-latex, it actually moves stuff from 'display to
'before-string in the zero-length case.

This can probably can well be considered a bug, but it is a bug that
has been around for eternities, so we are not going to win much
applause trying to fix it before the release.

Afterwards, however, should be a good time to tackle this
inconsistency along with the others.