Re: Building without Emacs malloc, possible?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Building without Emacs malloc, possible?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:42:27 +0100

Jason Rumney skrev:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> BTW, isn't the problem that Emacs uses `posix_memalign' because it's
>> found
>> in libc, even though its own malloc doesn't provide it?
>>
> For that to only happen when GTK is included, posix_memalign would have
> to be exported by the GTK libraries, not by the standard libraries.
>
> I think the original diagnosis is right. Windows DLLs are linked to any
> libraries they need at build time, so functions like malloc cannot be
> overridden by the calling program.

Cygwin has some kind of hack to make sure the malloc called is the one a
program supplies, if any.  Unfortunately they don't include memalign in that
hack, only malloc/calloc/realloc/free.

I'm not familiar with the unexec used on cygwin, but it looks like it relies
on the Emacs supplied malloc.

        Jan D.