Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:04:59 +0100

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:31, address@hidden said:

> Admittedly, it is a rather naughty solution: GPG is called through an
> elisp terminal (as implemented by `make-term' in term.el), with a
> modified process filter whose purpose is to send GPG the string to be

The design goal of pinnetry is to keep it small and thus more secure
than a huge application.  The GUI versions take additional care to
assemble the passphrase only in locked-from-swapping memory.  With all
that code running in emacs, I doubt that it makes sense at all to use
the curses versions of Pinentry.  Here is another idea:

Is it possible to enhance server-start/emacsclient so that it does not
edit a file but asks for string and returns that one?  Pinentry could
then use this feature for user interaction.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner