Possibly incorrect non-deactivation of mark from kbd macro

From: Ben North
Subject: Possibly incorrect non-deactivation of mark from kbd macro
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:45:43 +0000

A cut-down version of something I recently found with

   GNU Emacs 22.0.93.1
   (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

which I think might be a bug:

Define

   (defun insert-X-as-if-from-kbd-macro ()
     (interactive)
     (save-excursion (execute-kbd-macro "X")))

Turn on `transient-mark-mode'.  In, say, the start-up scratch buffer,
set mark to be the start of the buffer, move forward a word, then do
`M-x insert-X-as-if-from-kbd-macro'.  The mark is not deactivated even
though the buffer has been modified.  If you try

   (defun insert-X-using-insert ()
     (interactive)
     (save-excursion (insert "X")))

then the mark is correctly deactivated.  I tried to dig into where the C
variable `Vdeactivate_mark' was getting cleared but didn't get very far,
sorry.  Hope the report is useful anyway.