Re: More visible mini-buffer prompt face

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: More visible mini-buffer prompt face
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:47:10 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
    I wonder if it would not be better to have a more visible
    face for the minibuffer prompt by default. My suggestion
    would be using a visible background color (some not too
    sharp yellow perhaps).

What color do you get now?
Which of the options in the defface is being used?
Could you propose a patch in that defface?

Thanks for constructive feedback.

I see no reason for the prompt to stand out more, and changing the
background color is a bad idea, IMO. Background colors are often used to
highlight particular sections of text, not just to present normal text. Why
should a normal _prompt_ stand out especially?

Because it needs the user attention.

If your code pops up menus that attract the user away from the minibuffer,
and then you expect the user to notice a minibuffer prompt that you issue,
then why not make the minibuffer prompt stand out more _in your code_? This
sounds like a UI (dialog) problem in your code, not a problem with the
default Emacs minibuffer prompt face.

That is a good point. However I believe it is not just in the case of my code. The same problem appears in other cases within Emacs IMO.

In general, minibuffer prompts appear when the user expects them; in fact,
they are usually initiated by the user.

I believe at least a new user does not expect the prompt sometimes. The reason for this is of course that the Emacs UI is different from w

A normal prompt should not especially stand out;

Why not?

Your point about error messages is different (independent). In that case,
the user might not expect to see stuff appear in the echo area, so you might
want to attract attention to it. Nothing prevents particular code from
applying text properties to messages in the echo area.

I believe I did that before when using (message ...). However now it does not seem to work. Can you do it?

That too is best left
up to the particular application, IMO. The default message face should not
stand out.

Yes, but I was talking about error messages.