Re: removing bushdb related code in gud.el

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: removing bushdb related code in gud.el
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:37:24 -0500

On 2/25/07, Nick Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:
> We(Rocky, the author of bashdb and I, a contributor) would like to
> remove bashdb related code in gud.el.

You would need to remove references in the manual too.

Yes, I guess so. It would be nice though  to mention that support for the debugger can be found elsewhere.

> Bashdb has been improved/changed its output.
> As the result we have to update bashdb related code in gud.el; the
> version of bashdb and bashdb related code in gud.el must be
> synced. This is not problem during emacs development stage.
> I'm quite happy to work on such task.
>
> However, once new version of emacs is released. The code
> synchronization task is out of my hand; even if I update the code in
> Savannah's repository, users may use released version of emacs and
> gud.el bundled to it.
>
> To avoid users' confusion, we'd like to move bashdb related code( bashdb.el)
>  in gud.el to bashdb itself. So we can provide well updated bashdb.el in
> bashdb release.
>
> Any objection?

I guess if bashdb.el is always distributed with bash,

It is -- but that's a separate problem which we are also working on.  I think you meant to say if "bashdb.el is always distributed with bashdb ".

and users know how to
put it in their load-path, then this makes sense.

Debian based-distributions  already seem to have a convention and mechanism for making sure it is in the load path (I think).

 New releases of Emacs might
break functionality but they will surely be less frequent than releases of
Bash.

Yes, when bashdb.el is distributed outside of GNU Emacs, it means that it must cope with multiple versions and variants of Emacs. We've discussed this previously, and we feel that it still the better this way. Working for us here is the fact that there is a longer time between GNU Emacs releases than bashdb releases.

By the way, in bashdb.el we've started adding testing via elk-test.el. What is there is not very extensive , but at least it's a start.  If someone is interested in extending to more of what's in gud.el , by all means take a look at the code in the bashdb sources.

Thanks.