Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:43:47 -0500

>> This doesn't answer the question: have you *observed* *benefits*?
> That's a rather silly question though, given that the whole purpose of
> stealth fontification is to make fontification of large source files
> more "seamless" -- i.e., unobservable...

Stealth fontification is not supposed to be unobservable.  Instead it's
supposed to make less observable the fact that fontification is done lazily.

So to observe that stealth fontification provides you with some benefit, you
have to turn it off and see if jit-lock behaves worse.

> I've never changed the default, and never noticed any delay or adverse
> effects; occasionally it causes my system to not be idle when I thought
> it should be idle (why should I care though?).

We know fairly well about the downsides and we know they don't affect
everybody all the time, so this is not the interesting part of
the discussion.

        Stefan