Re: Strange stalls in asynchronous processing

From: Johan Bockgård
Subject: Re: Strange stalls in asynchronous processing
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:25:21 +0100

Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden> writes:

> Today I noticed strange stalls when using asynchronous processes,
> e.g. a compilation in a comint window, or a long grep. Very
> regularly the process output stalls and only continu when I give
> some input to emacs. this can be a keyboar input or a mouse click,
> even changing focus or moving a window will help. I haven't noticed
> this before, but usually I continue typing while the background
> process is running.
>
> This is on the 22.0.93 pretest, compiled from the tarball on Mac OS
> X 10.4 (Tiger). Has anyone experienced the same behaviour or is this
> a known problem?

Sounds like this problem:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-02/msg00614.html

From: Daniel <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Emacs not redisplaying
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
To: address@hidden
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:08:32 +0100

Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen wrote:

> Daniel <address@hidden> writes:
>>> When I sit idly in Emacs (or use firefox, for example), and touch
>>> nothing in Emacs -- messages in ERC and Jabber does not show up, and I
>>> get no notifications of any kind, in the mode line or echo area, or
>>> anything.  Only when I touch a key (e.g. C-f) in Emacs do they come, all
>>> at once.
>> I'd like to hook myself in here, too, as I'm experiencing the same
>> symptoms with compilation-mode on Emacs 22.0.93.1 (Linux, GTK). There
>> might be a relation to Henrik's problem.
>
> Just to add: I use the same Emacs version, 22.0.93.1.
>
>> Output actually seems to keep appearing for a few moments after the
>> key stroke.
>
> And this is the same for me too.

For me, the culprit is cedet.

When investigating the thing a little more (in order to come up with a
minimal reproduction set), I found that compilation output appears
fluently until I load "cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el".

Henrik, do you use cedet, too?

I found a message in the emacs-pretest-bug archives
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00013.html)
that suggests installing cedet from CVS.  So I'll do just that.

If it does work afterward, do you think one should still file a bug
report, as the solution would require a non-released cedet version?