Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fix needed for communication with gpg-agent
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:37:36 -0500

    It seems this thread is about two different topics:

     - Using Pinentry
     - Using Emacs to send (and cache) a passphrase to gpg

I see those as two parts of a slightly larger topic:

  What should we do _now_ in Emacs as regards use of gpg keys.

We want something that is secure enough and not too inconvenient.

    I am always thinking of using the gpg-agent - eventually gpg-agent
    will not only cache the passphrase but handle all secret keys.  Thus
    this latter case will sooner or later be irrelevant as tehre won't be
    any way for Emacs to tell gpg (actually gpg2 or gpgsm) a passphrase.

Please do NOT do this until we have implemented in Emacs a way to do
this, that works conveniently in all modes of using Emacs.