Re: Emacs build on Windows: Prerequisites

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs build on Windows: Prerequisites
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:11:58 +0100

dhruva <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been building emacs on windows so far with no issues as I had
> all the required executables in place.
> I had to move to a new machine and realized that I did not have some
> of the UNIX shell utilities (ex: cp, rm..) on my windows box.
> Why should Emacs build on windows need those tools? Why can't it use
> the windows equivalents?

Because in many cases there aren't such equivalents?

> This will make it easier for me to build.

Will it make it easier for the developers to maintain, in particular
synchronizing it with the builds on other platforms?  The developers
of the Windows port will be more qualified to answer this question
than I am, but I still want to point out that at least I find the
phrasing of your request coming across as somewhat self-centred.  A
progression of the "Why should...", "Why can't it..." kind comes
across like a complaint doubting the sanity of the addressed people's
choices.  Whether or not that was your intent, it probably could have
been phrased in a more constructive manner.

In any way, running Emacs without a suitable toolset around it is not
much fun even under Windows.  So another question would be whether
such benefits would not be shortlived.  Add to that that the build
environment will require a complete set of compilation tools, anyway.