Re: Edit images

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Edit images
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 23:34:54 +0100

Starting the editor from the image buffer would be quite inconvenient
since then I would get an inconsistency between displayed buffer and
file on disk, requiring me to fiddle with revert-buffer and similar
stuff.

True, you would get inconsistency. But if that is a real problem or
not depends on if you care about seeing the result in Emacs afterwards
or not. You might have used Emacs just to find that particular image
that you wanted to edit. I know I do that kind adhoc work a lot.

It would be also quite unusual if I called an image _editor_ that I
would require to display the image _afterwards_ again with Emacs.
Most image editors should be better at displaying an image than Emacs.

Sorry, but I don't follow what this has to do with what Lennart
wanted; a quick-access command to fire up his image editor of choice.
Can it be quicker and more painless than asking Emacs to do it when
that image is on his screen?

Postponing that until after the image edit is just asking for trouble.

Seems we have very different views about what "trouble" is... :)

I have no problem seeing the usefulness of the feature Lennart asks
for, but if it is a crucial feature or not, I cannot say. I guess it
depends on the user. However, a user that knows about keyboard macros
could quickly cook together such a command without knowing anything
about emacs lisp.

Actually, keyboard macros is one of the coolest things about Emacs,
that you can create new "commands" just like that. I think that was
the feature that got me sold back in those days. All other text
editors that I had tried had some kinds of limitation when doing macro
recording, for example dialog boxes often break the macro recording
and you could not use a cut'n'pasted piece of text in the search
dialog or whatever. Ah, those were the days... :)