Re: address@hidden: Re: comint's directory tracking doesn't understand \

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: comint's directory tracking doesn't understand \( or \)]
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:26:30 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> BTW, I can't seem to reproduce the problem referenced in the original
>> bug report.
>>
>> M-x shell RET
>> ~ $ cd /tmp/
>> /tmp $ mkdir /tmp/'(2007)'
>> /tmp $ cd \(2007\)
>> /tmp/(2007) $ pwd
>>
>>  => /tmp/(2007)
>
> Uh, I guess you should not use
> pwd RET
> but rather
> M-x pwd RET
>
> for checking the problem.

I understand the problem now (the original recipe wasn't clear).

I don't think we should make the proposed change to comint.el.  AFAIK,
the detailed rules for how backslash escape works is, in principle,
different from shell to shell, and even if we choose to obey (e.g.)
bash semantics for backslash escapes, we might still be incompatible
with other shells.  This might also introduce subtle bugs into
non-shell uses of comint mode.

It seems there will always be *some* way of confusing the directory
tracker: that's what `M-x dirs' is for.