Re: Assignment for GNUS vs. EMACS

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Assignment for GNUS vs. EMACS
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:22:44 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> In the assignments file, we have separate assignments for GNUS and
> EMACS.  But since GNUS is included with EMACS these days, does an
> assignment for EMACS cover changes to GNUS too?

If one wanted to be really anal about it, the assignment expresses the
intent of the contributor about _what_ code contributions should be
unambiguously considered the property of the FSF, not _where_ they may
end up.

With that interpretation, a contribution made to the Emacs CVS would
have been cleared as being the property of the FSF (from whence it may
be propagated into GNUS with that ownership), whereas a contribution
made to the GNUS CVS would not appear declared as transferred to the
FSF (and would not become so even if somebody else took it and
propagated it back into Emacs).

I am not sure that even the FSF's lawyers are as paranoid as that,
though.  But since some might delight in that level of nitpicking, I
decided to contribute it nevertheless.

In any case, it should be safe if one just checks into CVS servers of
those projects for which one has an assignment.

> OTOH, I guess that an assigment for GNUS doesn't cover EMACS in general.

Yup, that too.