Re: address@hidden: Re: comint's directory tracking doesn't understand \

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: comint's directory tracking doesn't understand \( or \)]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:30:09 +0100

David Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:26:30 -0500 Chong Yidong wrote:
>
>> I don't think we should make the proposed change to comint.el.  AFAIK,
>> the detailed rules for how backslash escape works is, in principle,
>> different from shell to shell, and even if we choose to obey (e.g.)
>> bash semantics for backslash escapes, we might still be incompatible
>> with other shells.
>
> It's an *sh* semantic, not bash.  Do you know of any non sh
> compatible interactive shell that is widely used?

csh and its ilk are actually in non-trivial use.  Their respective
suckage level for interactive use appears tolerable for some people.
One has to be aware that some interactive aids like history
manipulation and command completion appeared first in that family, and
some people were more comfortable with C-like syntax.