Re: Updating the homepage

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: Updating the homepage
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:35:21 +0100

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> I wrote the following text in the Emacs FAQ (C-h C-f).
> Improvements welcome.

I like it, and here are some suggestions for improvements.

The paragraphs that just enumerate features and changes in no
particular order might be better presented as bulleted lists.

I suggest something like the following.

| Listed are some of the user-visible changes in Emacs 22.
|
|  - Font Lock mode, Auto Compression mode, and File Name
|    Shadow mode are enabled by default.

[Normalized capitalization of mode names.]

|  - The maximum size of buffers has been doubled and is
|    now 256M on 32-bit machines.
|
|  - Links can be followed using `mouse-1'.

[Removed the qualifying phrase `on graphical displays' ---
by the way, is it not possible to follow links using t-mouse?]

|  - Mouse wheel support is enabled by default.
|
|  - Window fringes are customizable.
|
|  - The mode line of the selected window is highlighted on
|    graphical displays.

[Changed `modeline' to `mode line' and `graphic displays'
to `graphical displays'.]

|  - The minibuffer prompt is displayed in a distinct face.
|
|  - Abbrev definitions are read automatically at startup.
|
|  - Grep mode is now separate from Compilation mode and
|    has many new options and commands specific to grep.

[Slight change of word order.]

|  - The original Emacs macro system has been replaced by
|    the Kmacro package, which provides many new commands
|    and features and a simple interface that uses the
|    function keys F3 and F4.  Macros are stored in a macro
|    ring, and can be debugged and edited interactively.
|
|  - The Grand Unified Debugger (GUD) can be used with a
|    full graphical user interface to the backend debugger;
|    this provides many features found in traditional
|    development environments, making it easy to manipulate
|    breakpoints, add watch points, display the call stack, etc.
|    Breakpoints are visually indicated in the source buffer.

[I reworded this a little bit.]

|  - Many new modes and packages have been included in
|    Emacs, such as Calc, TRAMP, URL, IDO, CUA, ERC, rcirc,
|    Table, Tumme, SES, Ruler, Org, PGG, Flymake, Password,
|    Printing, Reveal, wdired, t-mouse, longlines,
|    savehist, Conf mode, Python mode, DNS mode, etc.

[Changed the order of the packages in an attempt to make the list
easier to read; for example, I put all the `Foo mode' at the end.]

|  - Leim is now part of Emacs.  Unicode support has been
|    much improved, and the following input methods have
|    been added: belarusian, bulgarian-bds,
|    bulgarian-phonetic, chinese-sisheng, croatian, dutch,
|    georgian, latin-alt-postfix, latin-postfix,
|    latin-prefix, latvian-keyboard, lithuanian-numeric,
|    lithuanian-keyboard, malayalam-inscript, rfc1345,
|    russian-computer, sgml, slovenian, tamil-inscript,
|    ucs, ukrainian-computer, vietnamese-telex, and welsh.

[Added a comma between `tamil-inscript' and `ucs'.]

|  - The following language environments have been added:
|    Belarusian, Bulgarian, Chinese-EUC-TW, Croatian,
|    French, Georgian, Italian, Latin-6, Latin-7, Latvian,
|    Lithuanian, Malayalam, Russian, Russian, Slovenian,
|    Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, UTF-8, Ukrainian, Ukrainian,
|    Welsh, and Windows-1255.

[Added an `s' to `environment'.]

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>