Re: address@hidden: EVAL and mouse selection in *Completions*]

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: address@hidden: EVAL and mouse selection in *Completions*]
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:35:49 -0500

martin rudalics wrote:

> As far as I can tell we now have
>
> - my patch (where the term `try-completion-old' is conflicting according
>   to Richard)
>
> - your patch
>
> - Chong's patch
>
> If Chong's patch resolves the erasure-from-bob problem for _any_
> completion mode (apparently people never ever used symbol completion and
> the recent attention given to partial completion mode is a plain mystery
> to me ;-)) we should probably revise your patch and install it.

I thought your try-completion-old was a better, more comprehensive
solution than mine. But I agree the name is poor. Why not call it
PC-try-completion? Also, shouldn't it return STRING, rather than "",
for an exact match? I think it must be the right solution for the
'sequencep t' problem, and should be installed.

With regards to the partial completion erasing buffer thing, I don't
know if we need to tweak completion-base-size, apply the complex fix,
or both.

I have little idea how anyone can have used partial completion for
much of anything, given all the problems it seems to have.