Re: Fwd: pcomplete bug with special display buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fwd: pcomplete bug with special display buffers
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:12:29 -0500

>>> +  (let ((window (get-buffer-window "*Completions*" t)))
>>
>> I recommend to use 0 rather than t as last arg to get-buffer-window
>> otherwise you may find the buffer but in a frame that can't be seen (at
>> least not without first explicitly making it visible).

> Shouldn't it be 'visible then?  But i don't think I'm the right
> person to check this, my window manager (ion3) is a bit different
> from what most other users have.

Could be.  The difference is that `visible' would not notice if the
buffer is displayed in an iconified frame, even though the frame will be
de-iconified automatically by display-buffer, pop-to-buffer,
raise-frame, and maybe a few other common operations.

To be honest: there's a bit of confusion around all this.  Part of the
confusion comes from the fact that the `invisible' property of a window has
been poorly specified and that most things have been defined in the context
of a single display.  With multiple-displays it makes sense to distinguish
frames that are merely not currently shown (typically: iconified) from
frames that simply can't be displayed on the current display.

Given the current situation, the most sensible way to go is to declare that
`invisible' indicates a frame that Emacs should consider as "currently
unshowable" (either because it's on another display, or because the user
has told Emacs not to show it by setting the `invisible' property).
I have some patches waiting to be applied to try and straighten things out.

        Stefan