Re: auto-insert help-buffer

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: auto-insert help-buffer
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 23:48:09 -0500

>     !       record_unwind_protect (read_char_help_form_unwind, Qnil);
>     !       help_form_saved_window_configs
>     !         = Fcons (Fcurrent_window_configuration (Qnil),
>     !                  help_form_saved_window_configs);
>
> I would call record_unwind_protect after pushing the new element.
>
>     I cancel the window config unwinding as long as the user clicks
>     anywhere using the mouse, not just the help window---it's too much
>     trouble trying to identify the help window.
>
> How about if you assume that the most recently displayed window
> is the help window?

It's not foolproof, since display-buffer can reuse an existing window,
or pop up a new frame, or (with the appropriate user customizations)
something else entirely.  I think it's reasonable to expect that if
the user clicks somewhere, he or she does not expect the window
configuration to abruptly change "under the mouse pointer".