why all the <help-echo> keys in the output of `C-h l'?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: why all the <help-echo> keys in the output of `C-h l'?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:27:19 -0800

The Elisp manual says that a `help-echo' event is "generated when a mouse
pointer moves onto a portion of buffer text which has a `help-echo' text
property".    ("onto" should probably be "over", BTW)

That is no doubt the explanation for seeing lots of <help-echo> "input
keystrokes" in the output of `C-h l'. I see that as more annoying than
useful. If others think it is useful, can we at least let users turn it off?

Also, I thought we were going to increase the number of keystrokes output by
`C-h l' in this release, and we even talked about possibly making that
number a user option. It is apparently still hard-coded at 100, which is far
too short, IMO - especially with all of the pseudo-user keystrokes we see
now.

If it must be hard-coded, I'd rather see 1000 than 100. At least that would
show enough real input that a user could dig out what s?he really did, after
perhaps filtering out extraneous stuff.

Speaking of filtering (post Godot?), users should ideally be able to filter
the `C-h l' display using, e.g., a menu or buttons, to eliminate certain
kinds of keystrokes (e.g. mouse, help-echo). That is, they would be able to
control what is shown, to help them see what happened.