Re: busyloop in sigchld_handler

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: busyloop in sigchld_handler
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:53:25 -0400

Andreas Schwab wrote:
Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:

wait3 is a system call, which, when invoked in a loop, prevents the
kernel from doing anything else (in this case, sending SIGCHLD to
emacs). sleep allows the kernel some time to pass the signal.

I don't find this explanation convincing at all.  Since the system call is
made _inside_ the signal handler, the signal is actually blocked here, so
it cannot be delivered anyway.

yes, you are right.
what I should have said was that by making a system call in a busyloop, emacs prevents the kernel from doing what it needs to do to the the child so that wait3 will succeed.

Sam.