Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:06:04 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > And, it's in my todo list to abolish encoded-kbd-mode and
> > implement keyboard-coding-system decoder in C for long, but
> > unfortunately I still don't have a time to do that.

> Does it have to be done in C?

What I'm thinking is to implement it in read_avail_input()
somewhere before it calls kbd_buffer_store_event () in the
case of ! read_socket_hook.  It may be possible to implement
the decoder in Lisp, but it seems far easier to do that in
C.

> > As shown in the previous diagram, I think it's a bug of w32
> > code if it doesn't convert such an event as ?\M-<encoded-?>
> > into ?\M-é because only a window system generates such an
> > event and knows how to encode it.

> Agreed.  The bug is that w32 shouldn't be using encoded-kb.

> > One guideline is not to use encoded-kbd-mode on window system.

> But that's the only available way in w32, IIUC.

I think the bug should be fixed.  Or, do you mean that it's
impossible for w32 code to do what done in
handle_one_xevent?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden